Thursday, October 23, 2014

Junk bow tutorial...
















                                                    Hello there...today is my turn over at RRR.   I have been obsessed lately with junk bows.  Have you seen them?  Do a search for them and they are all over!  Such a wonderful way to use up those little snippets of ribbons you have laying around.  We all know as ribbon lovers it is so hard to throw any snippets away!  Some people use every kinda texture imaginable when making these fun bows.....paper, fabric scrap, tinsel, and of course ribbon.   As you can see in the first photo....I stayed pretty simple.  I gathered up my ribbons - including 1.5 inch red gingham, natural burlap with wire edge, mini pom pom in red, betsy white crochet lace, and tulle.   I like to use at least one wired ribbon because it helps add stability to the bow.  After you pick your ribbons snip the ends to give a decorative edge.  From there you simply gather them all up and using your finger pinch the middle to flair the ends out.  Using your tulle wrap it around the middle and tie really tight.....that will help really poof up your bow. 
                                                         As you can see I decided to use my first junk bow on a retro Christmas card...which I gave a few step x steps on as well. I added some red seam binding and greenery to my junk bow.  I was having so much fun I ended up making two bows....I used the other on the cute polka dot bag.  These type of bows really lend themselves well to shabby or kitschy looking creations I think.  I love them....and plan on making more.  That is it for me!  Hope you enjoy!  hugs, cherry

2 comments:

Zeynep said...

Very lovely projects.And thanks for the tutorial.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This is a great idea, Cherry! I always have those pieces that I hate to throw out and now I have a reason to keep them. I never thought to put some of the together to make one nice looking little bow like this. Thanks for sharing and your card turned out wonderful.