Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy Pappy Pinwheels....
















Helllllllllo there! Happy almost 4th of July!  I am here today to share a fun Summer project for RRR using the Scor-pal buddy.   We are pairing up with them this month to bring you some fun tutorials and lots of inspiration.  First off I just have to say I am having so much fun with this little dandy! It makes it so easy to create perfect folds. Now My idea started off with deciding I wanted to try out making some home-made pinwheels. I have seen such sweet ones here and there and finally decided it was time to create some of my own. I off course ended up making a pocket for all my goodies...it just always seems to happen that way.
                          As you can see my first photo shows a couple of pattern pieces...I cut mine into 3 x 3's. I wanted smaller pinwheels because I decided I wanted them used as tags to top off on presents or a package. I double layered my squares using scor-tape so they were sturdy and had pattern on both sides. I than inked them around all the edges and than sat each square on the scor-buddy at a diagonal and scored corner to corner. This creates 4 "triangles" on each square piece. From there you simply cut in on each corner using scissors approximately 3/4's of the way. The scored line from the scor-buddy makes it easy to cut a straight line. After you are done with that you fold each alternating corner towards the middle of the square. I scored these lines as well to get a nice fold. Once I was done I simply used a bit of hot glue to keep in place. EAsy PAsy! NOW...you are ready to add some personality to them! I used some felt flowers, big red chunky buttons threaded with light blue jute, crochet flowers..whatever suits your fancy. I topped them off with red seam binding and little mini tags with a sweet sentiment from Crafty Secrets. I added some lolli-pop sticks to the back side.
As I said I couldn't stop there....I stitched up a pocket using matching papers and decided to use one of my pinwheels as center stage on the pocket. I wrapped some yummy chevron twill in light blue around the pocket and made a double bow. I wanted to add some more texture to the bottom and so I added some Camille crochet lace and pom pom trim. I also made a matching card and simple little bicycle tag using more red seam bindings as well as some bakers twine. I am calling it a happy pappy pocket with happy pappy pinwheels...why??? I don't know...I just like the name and I just like saying it! Works for me..lol.....anyways..I hope you enjoy! hugs, cherry

9 comments:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Cherry, just thinking of you! Those pinwheels are darling. I'm going to add a link to this post into blog post today.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful 4th.

Kathy M.

June Nelson said...

Wow I so love everything you do, its always out of the ordinary and a brilliant project, love your pinwheels there amazing xxxxxxxxxx

cnelson said...

/ohhhh sooooo CUTE!!! Ohhhhhh sooooo FUN!!! LOVE those pinwheels and that bicycle! !

Patty O'Malley said...

How adorable is this, Cherry! Love the pinwheels and the cheery colors. Happy 4th of July!

Ros Crawford said...

These are so pretty ... love your pockets

Angi Barrs said...

Super adorable!

Nancy said...

Glad you showed a step by step tutorial on how to make those adorable pinwheels! Always wondered how to - now I know. Thanks! Love your creativity!

Sassy Raggedy said...

I am so glad you showed how to do these. They are wonderful...I love everything you do...joann sassy raggedy

Rebekah said...

There is no limit to your creativity! Love your pockets! So full of great things:)